What is digital marketing and why do you need it?
By now, you should have already heard the term “Digital Marketing”. But what is it really?
Some websites have fancy descriptions on what it is and what is does, leaving newbies and non-technical audience more confused than they were before.
So let me try and explain it the easily way possible.
Before the digital era, the only way for companies to market and communicate to their target audience is through billboards, radio/tv broadcasts, newspapers, magazines, flyers, brochures, and other printing materials. This is called traditional marketing.
This method still works today but as more and more people use their mobile devices, it is no longer wise to just stick to this medium.
- An average person is now spending more time online than with TV and all other media (newspapers, magazines, etc.) combined.
- US consumers spend at least 5 hours a day online and it’s rising every year.
- At least 81% of American adults own a smartphone both for work and personal use
- 81% of customers do online research before making big purchases
..and the list goes on and on.
This brings us back to the question, What is digital marketing?
It is a form of marketing delivered through multiple online channels such as search engines, websites, social media, emails, and mobile applications.
In simple terms, it’s digital advertising
So why do you need it?
If you want to reach to more prospects and boost your marketing campaign, it’s obvious that you need to be where your customers are – online.
These are the main Digital marketing activities you should focus and invest on
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Pay-Per-Click Marketing (PPC)
- Social Media Marketing
- Content Marketing (Blogging & Article Writing)
Whatever you decide, remember that digital marketing is no longer optional. Most of your customers are already online so you are missing out on a lot of opportunities if you don’t adapt and embrace the digital world .
One thing is for sure, if you’re not online, you’re competitors are.